In the book Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer, a little boy growing up in New York City tells his story. This includes how his dad died at 9/11, and a bunch of clues his dad left behind with a key. The boy, Oskar, finds the key in an envelope with "Black" written on it. He desperately and carefully looks up everybody in NYC whose name is Black. He walks alone and carefully to their homes, goes inside, interviews them on whether or not they knew his dad, and whether or not they know about the key. This is proven to be extremely time consuming, and recently he found out about his father's storage in New Jersey. He asks his mom what the name of the company is, and is disappointed when it doesn't include "Black" in it, or any color for that matter. It makes me wonder: what would of happened if it did have "Black" in the title?
I mean, would he have gone to New Jersey? He would of had to go alone, since he refuses to concern his mother with this mission, much less make her aware that it's happening. So how would this stubborn nine-year-old have gotten there? Surely he couldn't drive, so he would have to hitch-hike his way. But, he has to know how risky that could be. I honestly have no clue what he was hoping to do. Also, isn't he taking this a little too far? I thought the way he misses his dad was sweet at first, but he's on a precariously thin line between care and obsession.
I can't say that I know what it's like to lose a parent, I mean, my mother and father are divorced, but both are alive. It probably leaves a huge imprint on a young mind, no matter how mature it may be. I do know what death feels like, since my sister's friend passed at a dreadfully young age and my grandfather passed earlier this year. Obviously, it's sad and many people wished that they could bring them back. I imagine that's how Oskar feels, and I can totally understand that perspective. But everything happens for a reason (I know, I know,super cliche, but hear me out). It's like yin and yang, each side has to balance each other out. You can't understand the beauty and fragility of life, without watching the creeping shadow of death. You can't truly hate someone without having loved them at one point. You can't have light without darkness. As smart as Oskar is, I'm surprised that he hasn't realized this yet. I hope he does soon.
Any questions, comments, or concerns? Let me know!
I think you are right about an invisible line between care and obsession. Really well said! You can say you love someone so much you would do anything for them, but it would be a little weird if you meant it in a literal sense. What people mean when they say that is that they would help you or protect you in any foreseeable way. What they say however, is actually a little creepy.
ReplyDeleteGreat response! While reading this book I also thought that Oskar seemed a little over the top about his fathers death and sort of unaccepting about it. Your response made me think from a new perspective that I've never really taken the time to think abot before--that there is no way you can truly understand the beauty of the world if you can't bring yourself to understand the the bad in it aswell.
ReplyDelete