In the picture book My Name is not Isabella, the main character is a little girl inspired by women from different time periods and places who changed the world. She pretends to be each of them for roughly two pages of the book. They are all very historically interesting women, like Rosa Parks. But at the end, she pretends to be her mother instead of one of the world-renowned women. This makes me think that the author is trying to tell us: being a mother is the most important job of all.
It makes me think this, because it was the last...role, if you will, that Isabella played. Thus, it was the last thing you were showed, and most likely the easiest to remember. Plus, being a mother is an extremely important responsibility to take on. You are greatly influencing a young life, and raising them in your own way. I think that Isabella will teach her children all about those women. I wonder if her mother taught her. Isabella seems to be a fairly young girl, and that she knew about women I didn't remember was impressive. I think her mother told Isabella all about those women, which would explain how her mother encouraged her personas.
But there was something else I noticed about the book; the mother's face is rarely shown, yet she's in almost every scene. I wonder why that is. Maybe the author is saying that mothers are just a whole bunch of love, inspiration, and help with things like going to bed and making cookies for Isabella. That mothers rarely get any recognition for all the work they do, and when they do, their fifteen minutes of fame are up before they even realize it.
I can't relate, since my parents are divorced and I don't talk to my mom that much. But I see my other friends with their mothers. The women I see are strong. They have the wrath of God, the tenderness and generosity of a mother, and are very very fair. This reminds me of Isabella's mother, who is extremely kind to Isabella, even when Isabella lashes out, crying "I AM NOT ISABELLA!". If somebody I knew, even my child, kept saying that kind of stuff to me, I would probably lose my patience after the second time or so. But Isabella's mother, and mothers everywhere, are able to look past how bratty or irrational their child is acting, and see the young face that hardly knows any better. Mothers are infinitely dependable and generous.
No comments:
Post a Comment